What is Prophon?
According to Copyright and Neighbouring Rights Law, Prophon makes agreements for the following use of music:
- Public performance: playing recorded music or music videos in public, ranging from hotels, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, shops, malls, taxis, fitness centers, outdoor events, etc.
- Media Broadcasting: radio and TV broadcasting, webcasting (broadcasting music on the internet)
- Retransmission: by cable, satellite, etc.
The organization manages the biggest music catalogue in Bulgaria, which includes the repertoire of the 4 major record companies (Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, EMI and Warner Music Group), as well as more than 30 000 independent local and foreign labels, and around 300 artists, bands, record and music companies.
What does Prophon do?
The work of Prophon consists several main activities:
- Concluding agreements for the use of music in the electronic media, internet, for public performance, for transmission (by cable, satellite, etc.)
- Collecting the remuneration
- Distributing the remuneration among right holders
- Paying the amounts due to the right holders
Prophon collects the remuneration for the music used on the basis of concluded agreements and distributes the gathered amount among right holders whose works were used.
The determining of the amount which each and every artist or producer should receive is done on the basis of the reports sent by the users and the Distribution Regulations. The more a particular song is broadcasted (on radio and TV), the bigger will be the remuneration for the copyright holders. The market share of the producers is also important for their account when distributing the remuneration for public performance.
Our mission is to protect and increase the value of the music of producers’ and performing artsts’ rights, to ensure maximum return on their creative efforts and to maintain high technological standards of accuracy, transparency and efficiency.